Spicy and savoury slow simmered beef round steak is perfect over rice and topped with green onions.
1 pound thin round steak, sliced into strips about 1/4-inch thick
2-3 teaspoons cajun seasoning
1/8 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
3 cups sliced onions
1 cups sliced red and green bell peppers
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
Rice, for serving, optional
- Combine the meat with the cajun in a mixing bowl and toss to combine.
- Heat the oil in a large cast iron Dutch oven or high-sided skillet over medium-high heat and brown the meat, in batches, until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the chicken broth and stir, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan to loosen any browned particles.
- Add the onions, bell peppers, salt, cayenne, and black pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the vegetables are wilted.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining cup of broth and continue to cook, uncovered, for about 1 hour longer, or until the meat is very tender and the gravy is thickened and flavourful. Add the parsley and serve immediately over rice, if using.