Delicious and EASY dutch apple pie is the perfect dessert for entertaining!
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 5-6 apples pealed and sliced (I used russet apples for this pie)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash of salt
- dash of allspice
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- Ice Cream (I served mine with Maple Walnut)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Mix all Crust ingredients together into a glass pie plate. You can double it (I did not) for an extra thick crust, or if you’re making a traditional apple pie, you would use half for the bottom, and the other half for the top.
- Mix with a spoon until you can shape it into a ball with your hands (happens pretty easily and quickly).
- Press dough out and up sides of plate with fingers to desired thickness.
- Make a pretty crust top with a fork, or pinching it with your fingers. See example here.
- Set aside and mix together “filling” ingredients from above in a large bowl.
- Pour into crust.
- Prepare topping by combining together the Topping ingredients from above. You can use a fork if you don’t have a pastry blender.
- When mixture is crumbly enough for you, top the pie!
- Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Mine took 50 minutes. (watch closely…put tin foil on edges if they are getting too brown)