Easy Buttermilk Cornbread Muffins
Light and fluffy easy buttermilk cornbread muffins are the perfect treat to go with a chilli. Try them with my hearty beef chilli recipe on a rainy, cold or winter day.
Makes 12 muffins or 24 mini muffins
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups corn flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a muffin tin or line it with cupcake liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine the melted butter with the sugar. Beat in the egg whites until well blended.
- Add in the baking soda and then slowly pour in the buttermilk while you stir.
- Add in the cornflour, and salt and stir until well combined. Pour batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake in the 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes, until the tops start to brown.
- Remove from baking and cool on a wire rack
* If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, substitute 1 cup milk with 1 tsp white vinegar and let sit for 5 min before using.